|The purple dot represents Paris, and the red dot represents Châteauroux.|
Châteauroux is a medium-sized town with a population of about 46,000, and it's smack dab in the middle of France. It's located toward the south of Centre and in the department of Indre.
|c/o Les Annuaires|
Admittedly, it wasn't my first-choice city (I spent last summer in Tours), but it looks so quaint! Here's what I'm most excited about:
- If my housing situation goes as planned, I'll only have to pay 185 € ($251) per month in rent (with my own bedroom!), and I'll be next door to a twice-weekly outdoor market. Less money for rent = way more money for traveling--especially if I get a government rent subsidy!
- All of the public transportation is free!
- Paris is only two hours away and only 30 € ($40) for a round trip. Toulouse is farther but the same price (depending on when you book).
- Similarly, I can go to Tours or Orléans or anywhere else in the region for under 20 € ($27) per round trip.
- There's a university, meaning tons of students and good nightlife.
- The city has multiple outdoor markets--my favorite!
- My mom and I followed the city's official Twitter and Instagram accounts and they immediately followed us back. :) They do #followforfollow if you're interested!
Unfortunately, I'm having trouble finding good photos of Châteauroux on the Internet, but I've rounded up some of my favorites (i.e., the prettiest photos that weren't copyrighted--thanks, Wikipedia!) in the slideshow below. And if you'd like more information about this city, you can visit the office of tourism's English-version website. Enjoy!