Ashliegh of The Darling Daily recently moved to Frankfurt to become an au pair, so we met up in Berlin for a girls' weekend! I'll let the video do the talking, though...
TIPS FOR BERLIN:
- DO NOT stay at Generator Berlin Mitte. I had the worst customer service of my life there, and it ended up with the manager making me cry, accusing me of making mean faces at him (seriously, what?) and telling me I'm a rude person. Those of you who know me and have traveled with me know that even if I'm annoyed about something, I'm firm but respectful--and this exchange arose when I tried to check in, I wasn't even complaining about anything! I've stayed in my fair share of hostels, good and bad, but this surely takes the cake for being the worst.
- Take the Sandemans free walking tour. I'm not a huge fan of walking tours, but this one highlights some sites and landmarks that would be otherwise pretty hidden (such as Hitler's bunker).
- Even if you're not a huge partier, do the Sandemans pub crawl. (Shoutout to my friend Rachel for suggesting it!) The 12€ (student) fee includes a free welcome shot at two or three of the four bars, drink specials (such as a free shot for each beer bought), and entrance to the nightclub.
- While Berlin is big, it's pretty walkable. Unless you're staying out in the boonies, I wouldn't recommend buying day passes for the transit system. I found it cheaper to buy the pack of four AB tickets at once, as I didn't need many.
- If you're flying, fly into Tegel. It's maybe 30-40 minutes away from city center and is super accessible by city bus.
- I don't eat meat, so I can't vouch for this, but try currywurst. It's the Berlin gastronomic specialty!
- Finally, if it's nice out, you can't go wrong with chilling at a biergarten. Any biergarten.
...and one last party picture for good measure.
Make sure to check out Ashliegh's post about Berlin, too!